Monday, March 16, 2009

Open your mind and add spice to your life

I was midway through a semester abroad program, studying French and living with a family in Paris when the United States declared war on Iraq.

“C’est la guerre,” my host father matter-of-factly proclaimed as we sat down to dinner one March evening.

Once it became clear that France would not back the U.S. in its pursuit of war with Iraq, I received phone calls and emails from friends in the states :

“Is it weird to be in France right now? Are the people rude or hostile to you? Do the French hate Americans now? Do you feel unsafe?”

Not at all.

As opposed to Americans, who had boycotted the sale of French wine and taken to calling French fries “freedom fries,” my French colleagues were able to make a clear distinction.

"We are against the war, but we are not against Americans," they said.

Despite my inherent association with President Bush and the war, I never encountered the least bit of enmity or aggression from the French community.

I hope that a French student studying in the states at that time would be able to say the same.

Living abroad, especially during such a controversial moment in history, opened my mind to the importance of cross-cultural awareness and drew my attention to the media’s considerable influence over public perception.

This awareness has encouraged me to seek out friends with backgrounds different from my own and to consider the variety of perspectives surrounding each political, social or cultural issue.

They say variety is the spice of life. If so, I believe we owe it to society and to ourselves to keep our spice racks fully stocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment