Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Summer Reading

Over the last month, I have read two fantastic novels by female authors relatively new on the literature scene.

The first - "Belong To Me" - was Marisa de los Santos' follow up to her 2005 novel, "Love Walked In." De los Santos writes with clarity, honesty and emotion ... and the characters in her books are people I would like to have as friends.

The characters in Kathryn Stockett's first novel, "The Help," are equally interesting and engaging, but in a completely different way. These ladies living in Jackson, Miss. in the 1960s represent a wide spectrum of strengths and weaknesses, passions and dreams. I am inspired by their sense of compassion for each other.

The summer isn't over yet, and I am already 20 pages in to what I can tell will be another good one: "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott.

No comments:

Post a Comment